01 February 2013

Is this any way to write a book?

Copyright © 2013 Bob R Bogle


I've spent the last week thinking about the ultimate narrative structure that Memphis Blues Again should take.  Thinking about it a lot.  Trying to devise a scheme by which this Brobdingnagian human ballad can function as an aesthetic whole.  I hesitate to say "function as a novel."  I'm doubtful that the word "novel" captures what I have in mind.  I don't think of it as a novel anymore, although this vast, spreading slab of story will all be witnessed through the eyes (and other sensory and cognitive apparatus) of fictional characters.

The least common denominator of everything that happens in this book is geography.  Locations in space.  As far as locating events in time, that's a more problematic matter.  For that reason I've abandoned concerning myself with sequentiality; in fact, freeing myself from the shackles of strict cause and effect ought to make this a good deal easier to write; to read, well, we'll see.

The thing about a book is that it is a linear device:  one long chant, first word to last.  And I do want this to be a linear book, not a multi-layered collection of sedimentary stories cross-connected by hyperlinks.  So everything has to accrue in a manner that will make a certain amount of sense to the reader, even if the logic only comes clear incrementally.  Bearing this in mind, I've just divided the whole arc into fifty modules – I won't call them chapters.  These modules are simply intended to be blocks of notes and text.  I'm about to begin hacking up my first draft and redistributing it into these fifty modules, to which more notes and text will also be added.  When all that is done I'll start taking on these modules one by one, trying to shape them all into readable stories that all tie together.  It's almost as if I'm about to take the entire first draft, chew it up and swallow it, digest it into its fundamental elements, and try to reconstitute an entirely new body out of it.

I've never tried writing this way before.  I guess we'll find out what comes of it.

  

1 comment:

  1. Jeeze. When last I left this manuscript, it was 249,309 words long. That's 621 pages.

    ReplyDelete

Comment? Criticism? Insight? Rant? Do it here.